Monday, March 23, 2015

Let's Talk It Out ::: Feminism

The funny thing for me personally about Shailene Woodley's quote's on Feminism is that I used to say the very same thing when asked, "Are you a feminist?"

"No, because I love men."

I was sixteen and I was misinformed.

The number one thing to understand is that feminism and loving men are not mutually exclusive. 

Let's clarify: 

fem·i·nism
ˈfeməˌnizəm/
noun
  1. the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality.
    synonyms:the women's movement, the feminist movement, women's liberation,female emancipation, women's rights; 
    informalwomen's lib
    "a longtime advocate of feminism"

It's pretty simple, really.  Do you advocate for women's rights?  Let's say the answer is yes, okay, you're a feminist.

Then let's talk about advocacy.  Does this mean you actively support women's rights?

Not exactly:

ad·vo·ca·cy
ˈadvəkəsē/
noun
  1. public support for or recommendation of a particular cause or policy.
    "their advocacy of traditional family values"
    synonyms:support for, backing of, promotion of, championing of;
    argument for, push for; 
    informalboosterism

You don't have to go to a protest to be supportive of women's right.  There's even less to do to recommend feminism.  I would recommend equal rights.  Wouldn't most of us recommend it?

The fact is Shainene is a public figure.  Especially in the present, as she's touring to promote her movie "Insurgent."  This is her job, it defines public.  I do feel bad for stars who live life under a microscope and constantly have their words picked and pried at, I do.  But it's part of their job. Whatever you choose to keep private, at the very least attempt to keep private, can be kept out of interviews

If you are not a feminist, that's fine.  

I don't agree with you, but I don't have to agree with you.  I have family and friends who I don't agree with on many levels.  

The problem here is the falsity of what she's saying, not the fact that she says she's not a feminist.  She's highlighting one of the key issues of the feminist movement today:  Misinformation.

It's humanities job to be informed, but if you choose not to be, please don't take a stance on it.  Don't flaunt it in the eyes of the public.  Loving men does not keep you from being a feminist.  Hatred of labels does not keep you from being a feminist.  Not believing in the equality of women keeps you from being a feminist.  My father's a feminist, my brother's a feminist, my boyfriend's a feminist.  Feminism has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's hatred of men.  Please, let's just all agree to understand that.

Shailene is a young women who has the eyes and ears of other young women across the world.
I'm sorry, but that's part of her job.  So these statements were, frankly, irresponsible.


I love men and I'm a feminist 
because I believe in the equality of women. 
It's really as simple as that.

--Allie

Let's listen to these stars instead:
















No comments:

Post a Comment